Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Culture

So far we've only had half our session today in Florence, but we've already seen some great artworks. We went to the The Museum of Andrea Del Darto's Last Supper. The Last Supper fresco was simply captivating, and I found myself staring at it for quite a long time. I was also able to view many other religious-based artworks in the museum.

It's one thing to view artwork or other historical pieces here in Italy, but it's another thing to experience much of the Italian culture.

It's very different from what many of us are used to in America. Most of us are used to being on the go all the time, and that's how many of us often get our meals. Most Americans don't really seem to have the chance to sit down and enjoy a meal with each other, but that isn't the case in Italy. Sit down meals seem to be the norm here, and there really aren't many places around where you can grab a meal and eat it on the go unless you run to the grocery store and make such a meal yourself. Myself and other students in the course have found a few places where you can grab something and run, but with the high number of American tourists around, I wonder if those places are simply catering to us (nothing wrong with that of course, they need to make a living too!).

Sitting down to a meal and other cultural differences in Italy are a nice change of pace from the life I'm used to back at home, I only wish I had more than two semesters of Italian so I could speak it a little better and truly experience the culture!

No comments: